Shin Splint Treatment in New Jersey
Your shins have to bear up to six times your weight while you exercise, and if you are in the Cedar Knolls, NJ area dealing with the dreadful pain of shin splints, contact the specialists at Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons today!
What are Shin Splints?
Often identified by tenderness, soreness, throbbing, or mild swelling in your shins or the lower part of your legs, shin splints are a very common type of injury caused by muscles, tendons, and/or bone tissue that has been overworked. Shin splints are common in athletes that put a lot of stress on the lower portions of their legs, including runners and dancers.
Symptoms of Shin Splints
- A dull ache in the front part of the lower leg
- Pain that develops during exercise
- Pain that can be constant
- Pain on either side of the shinbone
- Pain along the inner part of the lower leg
Benefits of Shin Splints Treatment
After receiving treatment for your shin splints treatment at Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons, you can expect to experience one or more of the following benefits:
- Reduced pain and swelling
- Increased strength in the affected leg(s)
- The ability to participate in sports again
- Improved flexibility and range of motion
How is Treatment for Shin Splints Performed?
Your podiatrist performs a physical exam to determine the level and exact location of the shin splint pain.
- Shin splints happen due to a sudden increase in running/walking or due to an injury or weakness in the ankle or Achilles tendon. After the physical exam and taking a medical history, your doctor will determine the best treatment.
- Initial treatment for splints takes about two weeks. Instead of running or walking, you will need to use a stationary bicycle or pool for exercise.
- To reduce inflammation, you will need to take an anti-inflammatory and apply ice packs to the painful area.
- To reduce discomfort, you can wear an Ace bandage or a calf sleeve. To keep the area flexible, the doctor will recommend stretching and strengthening that area with specific exercises twice a day.
Once symptoms are resolved, the doctor will start letting you walk or run again, with severe restrictions. Starting out on a level, soft terrain is best. The length and intensity will only be about 50 percent of what you did before. Over a period of four to six weeks, you can gradually increase your workout length and pace as the doctor recommends.
Preparing for Shin Splints Treatment
Although shin splints are very common and are typically mild to moderate, there often is not much preparation needed. Treatment typically includes rest and ice, use of over the counter pain relievers, wearing specialized sleeves, custom arch supports, and more.
Recovery from Shin Splints Treatment
Treatments for most shin splints are non-invasive and simply require rest and relaxation. Recovery is generally limited to allowing your body adequate time to heal, and manage your pain.
However, this is not to say that shin splints treatments cannot be lengthy, especially in more severe cases, which may require surgery.
In most instances though, prolonging the benefits of your shin splints treatment will likely only require the use of arch supports for your shoes, some type of light, flexible brace, and/or at-home exercises to improve and maintain your range of motion.
What Makes Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons Unique
Dr. Mark Solomon serves as the team podiatrist for the New York Jets. Dr. Solomon and Dr. Stinson offer an unsurpassed ability to diagnose and treat sports-related foot and ankle conditions/injuries. In addition, Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons has been voted the top podiatrist in Morris County.
Motivated in taking on complex challenges, Dr. Solomon and Dr. Stinson are the surgeons of choice for foot and ankle treatments in Cedar Knolls, NJ, and Northern NJ.
How Much Does Treatment for Shin Splints Cost?
Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons accept Medicare and Atlantic Health System’s local health insurance. We are considered an out-of-network provider with other insurance plans.
Some insurance plans include an out-of-network provision. If your insurance plan has this provision, it is likely to cover a portion of the eligible charges. As a courtesy, our knowledgeable and friendly office staff will submit your claims on your behalf.
If you do not have medical insurance, our knowledgeable and friendly office staff will review the various payment options we offer. We offer CareCredit® financing and accept major credit cards.
It is ultimately the patient’s responsibility to know and understand what services are covered under their individual insurance policy.
We take pride in making your experience as comfortable as possible. Contact us to schedule your initial appointment today!