OS Trigonum Syndrome in New Jersey
Usually triggered by an ankle sprain, it is very common for someone to have an OS Trigonum and not know it, especially if it has not caused any problems. A common condition among ballet dancers, and athletes it is caused by pointing the toes downward, repeatedly.
Symptoms of OS Trigonum Syndrome may include:
- Pain in the back of the ankle
- Area is tender to touch
- Swelling in the back of the ankle
Relief of the symptoms is often achieved through treatments that can include a combination of the following:
- Rest and immobilization
- Ice will help with swelling, but do not apply it directly to the skin.
- Oral medication to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Cortisone shots can also reduce the inflammation and pain.
Our physicians are trained and experienced in all foot and ankle conditions, including advanced trauma and fracture treatment. Conservative treatment includes anti-inflammatory agents, activity modification, weight-bearing immobilization, and physiotherapy.
If measures that are more conservative fail, open or arthroscopic surgical excision of the abnormal accessory bone is recommended. We may also utilize any of the following procedures:
Advanced Treatment Protocols
- Arthritis of the Great Toe Joint (Hallux Rigidus or Stiff Big Toe)
- Nerve Releases to Treat Diabetic Neuropathy
- Excision of Morton’s Neuroma
- Joint Implants/Joint Implant Surgery
- Flatfoot Correction
- Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy
- Advanced Pain Management – the Anesthesis (Pain Pump)
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) to treat tendons, ligaments, heel spurs and to promote wound healing
- Advanced Injection Treatment for Aggravated Nerves/Neuromas (Alcohol Sclerosing injections)
- Advanced Wart (Verrucae) Treatment (Bleomycin Sulfate Injections)
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Treatment
- Advanced Wound/Ulcer Healing
Our doctors at Advanced Foot & Ankle Surgeons are trained to distinguish between all the possibilities and determine the correct diagnosis. They will tailor a treatment program specifically designed for you.