Ganglion Cyst Treatment in New Jersey
A ganglion cyst is a mass of tissue that is filled with a jelly-like fluid. The word “ganglion” means “knot” and is used to describe the knot-like mass or lump of cells that form below the surface of the skin. These cysts vary in size.
- Usually appears as a bump (mass) that changes size.
- Usually soft, anywhere from 1-3 cm in diameter, and does not move.
- Swelling may appear over time or appear suddenly
- May get smaller in size, and may even go away, only to come back at another time.
- Monitoring, but no treatment.
- Shoe modifications. Wear shoes that do not rub the cyst or cause.
- Aspiration and injection. This technique involves draining the fluid and then injecting a steroid medication into the mass.
Surgical removal of the cyst is needed when the mass is painful, interferes with the function (especially when your dominant hand is involved), or causes numbness or tingling of the hand or fingers.
There are many advantages to having your ganglion cyst treated by the experienced and skilled surgeons at Advanced Foot & Ankle. Some of these advantages are:
Our surgeons use advanced fixation techniques that allow for rapid healing and less pain. Most patients can begin walking immediately after surgery.
Cosmetically appealing results
Our doctors have advanced training in plastic surgery. They know how to “hide” incisions and limit scarring.
Advanced pain management
Our doctors use advanced pain management techniques to minimize post-operative discomfort. On a scale of ten, most of our patients report a pain level of 2 or less following surgery.
Personalized treatment plan
We treat our patients “as if they were family” and you will receive your surgeon’s full attention before, during and after your procedure. We can even arrange for a patient who has had a similar procedure to share information with you in advance. This will give you a well-rounded view of what you might expect during your own procedure and recovery.